Note: The Supplemental Arts Portfolio is entirely optional.
Students with a special talent in dance, music, theatre, and visual arts are welcome to submit an arts portfolio using the Williams College SlideRoom site. Williams faculty review all portfolios and provide feedback. This is merely one piece that is considered in the holistic review of a student’s overall application to Williams. Additionally, students who choose to submit an arts portfolio are not required to major in an arts-related discipline. Please find more details about each submission category below, and note that additional instructions, including acceptable file formats, can be accessed once you create an account and log in at the Williams College SlideRoom site.
Submitting an Application in SlideRoom
Please be sure to select the SlideRoom “program” that specifies the portfolio type–dance, music, theater or visual art–as well as the appropriate application type–Early Decision Application, Regular Decision Application, or QuestBridge Application. For example, students who apply to Williams via the QuestBridge College Match should select a program in dance, music, theatre, or visual arts with the title “QuestBridge College Match.” Please note that QuestBridge applicants who are not participating in the match process should submit an arts portfolio in either the Early Decision or Regular Decision programs.
SlideRoom submissions for QuestBridge College Match are due November 1, 2019
SlideRoom submissions for Early Decision are due November 16, 2019
SlideRoom submissions for Regular Decision are due January 4, 2020
Application Fee or Fee Waiver
All SlideRoom programs have an additional $10 application fee. If this fee poses a burden, please do not hesitate to request a fee waiver by contacting Pam Shea. Students who submit an arts portfolio using the “QuestBridge College Match” SlideRoom program will automatically be granted a fee waiver. Early Decision applicants must request a fee waiver by November 15 and Regular Decision applicants by January 3. These dates are each one day prior to the submission deadlines listed above.
**Important note about fee waivers: you must first create your SlideRoom account and select the appropriate SlideRoom program. We cannot waive the SlideRoom fee until you begin your Williams SlideRoom portfolio.
Williams-specific Instructions for Arts Portfolios
Dance Portfolio Requirements
- SlideRoom Dance Form
- Dance Resume
Notes from Dance Faculty:
- Submit a recent (within the past 6 months) video(s) with 3-5 minutes of technique/class work.
- Submit a recent video(s) with 1-3 minute excerpt of live or studio performance. It is strongly recommended that you send a solo piece, but if you send a video of a group performance, ensure that you are easily identifiable (i.e., you’re the only one wearing a certain costume, or the video has been superimposed with an arrow).
- If applicable, submit a video(s) with 2-3 minute excerpt of works you have choreographed, with information of when you made it, and who the dancers are (classmates, or dancers from another school, for example).
Music Portfolio Requirements
- SlideRoom Music Form
- Music Resume
Notes from Music Faculty:
- It is strongly recommended that you submit two contrasting pieces for any given instrument.
- If you are submitting media for more than one instrument, send each instrumental piece in a separate submission.
- Do not send full orchestral, band, or choral recordings unless you are a featured soloist; if you are, please specify your solo. If you are submitting pieces in both classical and jazz categories, create separate files for each one and make the category clear in the file label.
Theatre Portfolio Requirements
- SlideRoom Theatre Form
- Theatre Resume
Notes from Theatre Faculty:
- General: SlideRoom portfolios are evaluated on the basis of the degree to which the applicant demonstrates a commitment to original expression, rigorous practice, and brave inquiry in the arts.
- Performance: Submit a video of two short (approximately 2 minutes), contrasting monologues. Do not send previously recorded excerpts of high school or community theatre performance.
- Design (set, costume, lighting, sound, and media): Submit photographs, sketches, or video files of any theatrical design you have created or contributed to. Working drawings or finished products are acceptable.
- Writing: Submit one or more samples of representative original work. Entire selection should not exceed 10 pages.
- Directing/Dramaturgy/Stage Management: Submit a short video and/or working materials such as prompt books, visual and/or production research, etc.
Visual Art Portfolio Requirements
- SlideRoom Visual Art Form
- Visual Art Resume
Notes from Visual Art Faculty:
- The following types of visual art submissions will be evaluated: architectural drafts, drawing, painting, photography, printmaking, sculpture and video
- It is recommended that you submit at least 10 pieces of your work (maximum of 15).
- Please include a short description for each piece in your portfolio when you upload into SlideRoom.
To start your arts portfolio, visit the Williams College SlideRoom page. More detailed instructions for each submission type, including information on accepted file formats, can be accessed once you create an account and log into SlideRoom. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.